1. How do you book an Assessment?
You can only book on-line here.
2. Can I book an Assessment over the phone?
No, all bookings should be made online. For enquiries call the office on 0333 700 0157, Monday to Friday 09:30 – 15:00
3. Is there a cost for an Assessment?
The cost of a Taxi Driver Assessment is £87.00.
4. When do I need to pay for the Assessment?
Payment is required at the time of booking.
5. What methods of payment are accepted?
Payment can only be made using a Credit or Debit card.
6. Is there a difference between an Assessment for a Hackney Licence and a Private Hire Licence?
No, the Assessment is the same whether you are applying for a Hackney or Private Hire Licence.
7. After I have booked on-line who will contact me?
You will be contacted by one of our Approved Assessors working in your local area to arrange a mutually convenient date, time and location for your assessment.
8. Where are your Test Centres located?
The Blue Lamp Trust does not have Test Centres. We have Approved Assessors located nationally who conduct Assessments from locations convenient to them and the candidate.
9. How long does it take for someone to contact me after I have booked on-line?
You will be contacted by an Approved Assessor within 5 working days.
10. How long does it take to schedule the Assessment after I have booked and paid? We aim to complete Assessments within 15 working days of your booking.
11. I am not based in Southampton, so can I do an assessment local to me?
The Trust has Approved Assessors nationwide.
12. Will I have to travel to my Assessment location?
We aim to allocate an Assessor as near to you as possible, however you may be required to travel a short distance to meet the Assessor.
13. Can I only do an Assessments on certain days of the week?
Assessments are mainly conducted during working hours Monday to Friday however some Assessors may have evening and weekend availability.
14. Can I use my friend’s vehicle if mine is off the road?
You can use any vehicle as long as you are insured to do so for the purpose of the Assessment, the vehicle is roadworthy and suitable for the purpose of the Assessment.
15. Can I arrange a time and date to suit me?
This will be agreed between yourself and the Assessor when they contact you.
16. Will I be notified on the day if I have been successful?
Yes, and you will receive a copy of your Assessment sheet and a certificate.
17. What happens if I do not pass the Assessment, can I re-take?
Yes, you can re-take the Assessment by making a re-booking. The re-booking should be made online.
20. How long is the Assessment valid for?
There is no expiry on the certificate. It is at the discretion of the Local Authority that you are applying to.
21. If I move area will my Assessment still be valid?
This is at the Local Authorities discretion.
22. What do I do if I am not happy with my Assessment?
The Blue Lamp Trust has a complaints procedure which you must follow. All complaints should be made in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Blue Lamp Trust, c/o Police and Fire HQ, Leigh Road, Eastleigh, SO50 9SJ within 10 days of your Assessment.
23. Can I take my Assessment in an automatic vehicle?
You can take your Assessment in an automatic vehicle however you will only be licenced to drive an automatic vehicle not a manual. If you take your Assessment in a manual you will be licenced for both vehicle types.
24. If I need to cancel my assessment will I still be charged?
The terms and conditions of booking state that you must give 5 clear working days’ notice to cancel or change a booking. If less notice is given than this a refund will not be given.
25. Do I need a UK driving licence?
No, your licence must be valid but does not need to be a UK issued licence.
26. What happens if there is a fault with my vehicle on the day?
The car needs to be roadworthy if not the assessment will not take place and you will need to re-book for another date. Re-booking will incur the full fee.
27. What do I need to bring with me for my Assessment?
Driving Licence, photo ID if your licence does not include a photo, glasses or contact lenses if required and a suitable vehicle.
28. What is a suitable vehicle?
Your vehicle must be; right-hand drive, less than 9 passenger seats, weigh no more than 3.5t, have 4 wheels and have head restraints in all seats and have an unobstructed rear window.
29. Can I take my Assessment in a van?
No, you must be able to see out of the rear windows.
30. Can I take my Assessment at the weekend or in the evening?
This is at your Assessors discretion. Some Assessors are happy to work evenings and weekends.
31. What if my assessment is cancelled due to no fault of my own?
If there is inclement weather or the Assessor is unable to undertake your Assessment, it will be re-booked at the next available date. If this is not suitable a refund will be issued.
32. Can I have an interpreter with me for the Assessment?
Yes, if required. They may assist you during the briefing at the start of the Assessment and again at the end. During the Assessment they must remain quite in the rear of the vehicle.
33. Who are the Blue Lamp Trust?
We are a charitable organisation based in Hampshire. We offer driver training to generate an income for our Bobby Scheme which visits vulnerable and elderly people to help secure their homes free of charge.